View Single Post
Old
11-06-2010, 11:15 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
The idea that St. Louis has suddenly become a defensive powerhouse just at the exact moment they traded for Halak is pretty funny actually. Halak's been godlike so far this season, give him the credit he deserves, but I agree completely that Price has been more than good enough. They're both starting goalies with the potential to be elite in the NHL. We had to pick one, and live with the strong likelihood that whichever one we gave away would turn out to be a star. The important issue is what happens to the one we've kept and so far I have no complaints about Price whatsoever.

The context of the Halak trade for me is the fact that, with the singular exception of JFJ's Toronto reign of terror, NOBODY in the league has been able to get a big return for a goalie. Brian Burke couln't get anything for Bryzgalov. Luongo, even pretty much established as a future goalie for Team Canada, was traded for a broken-down, scandal-plagued Tod Bertuzzi. Huet was worth 5 million plus as a UFA but had only fetched a mid-low 2nd rounder a few months earlier. I hear Pierre McGuire boast about how he'd have gotten T.J. Oshie and wonder, where's the example of that trade happening in the NHL in the last decade? Even the Toskala fiasco in the end basically netted a mid-first-round pick, and it sticks out like a gleaming beacon of over-payment.

Goalies have extremely limited trade value in the NHL. I don't know why, but that seems to be an inarguable fact.
To be fair, to get Luongo it also cost the Canucks a few other pieces. Alex Auld was looking like a solid enough young goalie with potential as well as Bryan Allen who would becoming a pretty damn decent defenseman. Hell, Bryan Allen is still a pretty good player for the Panthers. And Bertuzzi did have 70+ points in his season before the trade (and was a PPG player for the Panthers in his minimal playing time there).

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote