View Single Post
Old
11-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Zil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
See I disagree. Howe in his prime, that I watched in Philly, for 3-5 years or so was like Bourque in Boston or Chelios in Chicago or Lidstrom in Detroit. He was the controlling force in most every game. He controlled the game and was the best player on his team. And Philly was a great team during that time, with two different goaltenders as well, so he was the best player on one of the best teams. Niedermeyer never, to me, was that kind of defenceman, a guy that dominating the game for several years. Niedermeyer was a great defenceman but he was not in my mind able to dominate and he was not as good defensively as Howe was and his offence was more exciting but not as consistent and not better offensively. Niedermeyer was not as good as Stevens or Pronger when they played together. He was not THE controlling player on his team and did not dictate the pace of the game like Howe could.

Howe to me is a clear top-tier defenceman for the HHOF. Niedermeyer is a 2nd tier HHOF defenceman. This is just my opinion of course.

McCrimmon is also criminally underrated as well from those Philly teams.
Niedermayer's three highest point totals came when he was a Duck in his 30s. You cannot tell that wasn't a result of his offense being held back by the Devils' system. You cannot tell me that he didn't hit his offensive prime until age 32. If he had played in the 70s and 80s like Howe did, Niedermayer's numbers would have been just as good if not better. I'm not saying Niedermayer was better than Howe, but you can't punish him for the era he played in.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote