View Single Post
Old
05-19-2005, 06:14 PM
God Bless Canada

vCash: 500
I think Messier stopped gaining points on everyone's rankings after that special season in 1996, when he was a strong Hart Trophy candidate and only injuries

LaFontaine had more than one great season. He was every bit as good in 1991-92 (when his play had people talking about him being the second best player in the world) as he was in 1993, when he finished second in league scoring. He was, for my money, one of the five best players in the league in 1990, when he scored more than 100 points surrounded with mediocre talent and carried the Islanders to the playoffs on his back. He played better in 1990, 1992 and 1993 than St. Louis did in 2004.

How many forwards currently in their prime were better than LaFontaine in his prime? Forsberg's the only one I could think of. (I wouldn't say Sakic's "in his prime" anymore, even though he's still one of the top two or three centres in the league).

I kind of feel bad, because I'm the one who first mentioned LaFontaine. With some people, they just can't get enough of being off topic. My only point is that Forsberg, if he retired today, would be in the same boat that LaFontaine was in a few years ago: a guy who will get in eventually, but because he lacks longevity, will need two or three chances before he gets in. Not saying who's a better player, just they're in a similar boat when it comes to HHOF chances.