View Single Post
Old
10-06-2003, 07:51 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone
Beliveau finished his career with 507 goals. Had he signed earlier with the Habs, and not remained in Quebec City, he would easily have finished with more goals than the Rocket's 544. Also his final year, (age 39), he amassed 72 points in 70 games, and 22 points in 20 playoff games (going on 40). He went out a winner, not hanging on. Granted, having Cournoyer and Mahovlich as linemates didn't hurt, but Le Gros Bill was not out of step.

Ah, reminiscing......

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...?pid%5B%5D=297
I was surprised to see his numbers from his last year, I guess I had forgotten. 72 points and he had slowed down. He would show flashes, like his 500th goal, a nifty passing play with The Big M and Phil Roberto, but I remember thinking that he was nearing the end. 72 points, I guess I just held him to a different yardstick. I remember him in the playoff series that year against Boston in that famous comeback game. Richard started the comeback, but I remember Beliveau intercepting a pass at the Boston blue line and breaking in and beating Johnston. It might've been the tying goal, but I can't remember. Richard,Beliveau,Ferguson,Lemaire and Mahovlich keyed the comeback. Imagine those guys on your team and being considered a heavy underdog.