View Single Post
Old
11-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Kyle McMahon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
Just my opinion, but it seems to me Leetch & Housley are underrated here as offensive players and Bourque is overrated.

For a large part of Bourque's career he rarely rushed the puck. I'd attribute this to him realizing he was going to be continually overplayed by his coaches in order to carry the Bruin's from the back line. As a Bruins fan, I considered him a D first player who also had great offensive talent. But his huge numbers come from not only his longevity, but also his massive amounts of ice time during an era with massive amounts of points.

Strictly on offensive ability, I think Leetch and Housley were at least Bourque's equal.
I agree with the general premise of this. It could apply to Lidstrom as well, and others. I certainly don't think of Lidstrom as an offensive defenseman, despite his high point totals. While his offensive ability is no doubt better than most, the fact that he gets a lot of icetime (and PP time) by virtue of being the best d-man on his team (or in the league) is a big reason for his point totals. Not to say of course that any player could put up those totals with lots of ice time, few could. But it seems odd to have "defensive d-man who get a ton of points" ranked ahead of a guy who made a HOF career out of his offense in Leetch.

Edit: Should add that Pierre Pilote needs a little more love in here. Going strictly on how his numbers compare to his contemporaries, he had seasons that were as dominant as some of Paul Coffey's. I'd ask of those who saw him, was it a case similar to the one outlined above with Lidstrom/Bourque, ect? Getting lots of ice time with Hull and Mikita simply because he was great overall and piling up points that way, or was he actually an offensive catalyst out there? (As much as one could be in the pre-Orr era.)

Last edited by Kyle McMahon: 11-07-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote