View Single Post
Old
11-07-2010, 09:50 PM
overpass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
I voted for Nieds slightly over Howe but for me it was like flipping a coin they are that close.

In the end I took their entire careers, including jr in my decision and have no idea on why some people keep insisting that's it's Howe and not even close to me that just screams some kind of bias that isn't really justified by anything that I have seen between the 2 players here.

I can understand that he might be over rated by some but to say that it is not even close is just baffling to me.
Why would Niedermayer's junior career give him an edge? Like Niedermayer, Howe also led his team to the Memorial Cup and was named player of the tournament. But Howe did it at the age of 17 instead of 18 - when he was 18 he scored a point per game in professional hockey and was second in playoff scoring on the championship team. Say what you will about the WHA level of competition, but it was a lot better than junior hockey.

From the Ottawa Citizen, May 14, 1973:

Tessier was referring to Gordie Howe's middle son, Mark, who so completely dominated this Memorial Cup under the three-team round-robin format. It prompted one reporter to say "There will be National Hockey League teams fighting to get into last place in 1975 just to obtain draft rights to Howe."

That's the season young Howe will become eligible for the professional draft. And, at 17, he's already being touted as the greatest junior since Bobby Orr.

overpass is offline   Reply With Quote