View Single Post
Old
11-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
I'm not really sure where anyone is getting this 3 mill ballpark idea, considering Carter was awarded 5 mill after coming off a 53 point season, and Richards was given $5.75 mill after a 32 point season and, as I recall, about a 1/3 of a season at about a PPG clip. Giroux is coming off a 47 point season, and PPG so far in this one. Sure, NHL contract numbers have cooled off a little bit over the last couple years, but all things considered, I don't see too much reason to expect his cap hit to not fall in the Carter/Richards ballpark, regardless of the years. I liked both the Richards and Carter contracts, but felt both were a little high on the cap hit. I'm guessing I'll probably end up feeling the same about Giroux's. But whatever...I'm actually even more concerned about keeping him than I was Carter or even Richards...definitely want to see him locked up, whether now or at the end of the season.
Carter came the summer after Vanek's offer sheet... bit different animal, and teams have figured out how to take advantage of the RFA status a bit better. If they give him a monster deal right now (when he hasn't played well for a full season yet), then they're idiots.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote