View Single Post
Old
11-08-2010, 07:50 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Because Martin is trying to conserve Plekanec, Gionta and Gomez's PK ice time so they can play more PP and even strength minutes?

He's a good penalty killer but not a "great" one, the reason he's effective is because of his speed but he lacks the hockey smarts to be a great penalty killer. He's often caught running all over the place and out of position on the PK while guys like Plekanec and Halpern are very effective on the PK because of their positioning and knowing how to read plays. He did help us last year in the playoffs but he hasn't played like he did in the playoffs, guys like Gill and even Spacek played well in the playoffs yet people bash them for their play so far.
Go find the statistics for when Pyatt is on the ice during a PK. It's quite surprising just how good they are.

And I really doubt Martin is trying to conserve Plekanec. He's not that smart. Plekanec is pretty close in PK time to Pyatt. You usually need 4-5 good PKing forwards per team. (2 shifts of 2, and a spare incase one of them is in the box).

We have Pyatt, Plekanec, and Halpern who are excellent in my mind.

Lapierre is pretty good. I'm not a huge fan of Moen on the PK, but he's okay. Gionta is passable but not the perfect option, IMO. And Gomez, meh. He's too dumb with retaliation penalties and rushes to be great, IMO.

Pyatt chews up a lot of PK minutes because .. wait for it .. the other team doesn't score very often when he's on the ice.

To be fair, he's not played well 5 on 5 to this point. He hasn't been terrible, but he's been pretty useless. He can be better though, and I expect him to be. I just wish Martin would stick with some lines for a few games instead of switching them after every single shift.

Pyatt became most effective when he played with the same guys over a long period of time (Moore and Lapierre). Line him up with White/Eller & Lapierre and they'll be flying out there --- if you give them time to develop some chemistry, FFS. Keep putting grinders on an offensive line and now you guys playing out of their bubble.. and when they get put back in the ordinary position, they try to do different things.

It sucks. Martin is terrible with line juggling and its the biggest reason I hate him as a coach.

You can't really ask of much more from a 4th liner -- although I do agree his 5 on 5 play has been below what he's capable of.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote