View Single Post
Old
10-06-2003, 09:01 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
Whatever, I'm well aware of what the larger issues are, thank you.

Anyway, I could go through my reasons why this deal was a no brainer for the Lightning as I posted weeks ago on the Business board, but you people won't read it anyway, so why bother? We're all entitled to our opinions.

Edit: Now that I've thought about this for a minute, let me add: I can't believe this is still receiving attention, but I guess it's MUCH easier to criticize the Lightning than it is to criticize one of the "big boys". Same thing happened last year when St. Louis' salary got quadrupled. This is not some earth-shattering move, if it hadn't been pounced on by some members of the media as a reason why certain players and teams can't get deals done, no one would have batted an eyelash over this contract, and I've got to say, I don't know ANY Bolts fans who have an issue with what Richards is getting paid. I doubt any of you understand the issues involved down here, including budget and the marketability of the team.
I live in Nashville so I refute your argument about not understanding. Hey, if you want to live in denial, fine. THe point is this....the CBA is designed so that RFAs get the qualifying offer ONLY until they receive arbitration rights. Even then, they receive only what the arbitrator believes is fair. It is not until they become UFA that they can sign for whatever they chose. TB, signed Richards to a contract much more than the qualifying offer. Now players around the league want the same thing. I'm not saying that Richards doesn't deserve the contract, b/c he probably does, but in a few years when that qualifying offer is over 4.5 mil your not going to be liking it, and maybe then you will see why TB got hosed on this one. They had the leverage, and they caved in. Its a bad management move money wise, and it sets the tone for other GMs to have to live up to. TBs bad decision makes it a precedent for agents to use agianst other teams. I just hope that these other teams do not give in so easily as Feaster did for you.