View Single Post
Old
11-10-2010, 01:25 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
If he were 5'10 and 185, everyone would probably be singing his praises on a nightly basis.
100 percent correct.

the talk i was referring to i guess started with the forsberg trade. it was either franson or parent going to philly. I remember poile talking about keeping franson on the radio bc of his size and shot and his room to fill out his frame and be a dominant d-man. people ran with it on the old boards. for what 4 years? three? I have been waiting on any king od mean streak. any kind of physical play. Fact is, he isn't 5-10. he has a big frame. he needs to use it. I am not talking about bone crushing hits. Just enough to move a man off the puck. I will use suter here as an example. He will neve be confused with a guy who throws huge body checks. But he is great and seperating man from puck and breaking out of the zone. That is what should be expected on d-men, able to use your frame to seperate man from puck. I don't care if it is a huge check, or pinning a guy to the boards and waiting on help from the center or wing. It needs to be done and franson needs to grow this part of his game. I know he can't be afraid to do it. No one who plays the game is afraid of contact. I just don't know what goes on between the ears that says poke check rather than use his body. He is here becasue he had offensive skills and size. if we wanted an offensive dynamo that didn't use the body so much, blum or ellis would be here. You can see the talent in franson, offensively. But to be anything more than a third pair guy, he has to fine tune the nuances of playing defence in the nhl. We have seen suter go from rookie that everyone seemed to hate to best american d-man in the nhl because he gre into his frame and learned how to seperate man from puck. We have seen Weber gorw into a hulking dman and go from a guy who had a booming shot and a nasty streak into a guy with those same talents, but know how to handle weight now and seprate man from puck in a variety of ways. You see it with Klein. He is getting better every year and is a solid number 4 d-man. We need Franson to continue to develop just like these other guys have.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote