View Single Post
Old
11-10-2010, 11:06 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFD View Post
Thanks for the advice, better than I expected
I have long narrow feet, I hear GRAFS are good for that. I also looked at some that have pumps which does seem helpful
Grafs don't really have a specific foot type as much as the other brands, they cater to a lot of different foot shapes. If you have really narrow feet, Grafs could be a good choice for sure, I think a lot of Grafs will be available in a narrow width (C width?), which can be hard or impossible to find with a lot of other companies. However, most Grafs tend to be quite expensive, they don't make much in the way of cheap/entry level skates, and they're heavier than skates from other brands at the same price (though I really don't think weight is a huge deal as long as the skates are reasonably light). Plenty of guys swear by them though.

The pump skates you tried are probably Rbks, they tend to fit wider, as do CCMs. Bauer Supreme's fit a bit wide too, Bauer Vapors a bit narrower, so Vapors could be worth trying on too, the Vapor X40 is a very popular skate that tonnes of guys seem to love. I think the Easton Stealth line tends to fit narrow feet too.

I could easily be wrong about a bunch of the above info, hopefully someone who actually works at a shop can clarify/verify! Mostly though, you can read posts about skate fit till your eyes bleed, but there's no substitute for just trying on a tonne of skates in a shop and seeing what ACTUALLY fits your foot best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokeyhighlander View Post
Man, I'm going to be new to the game (played roller as a kid) and this is the part I struggle with the most. It's so tempting for me to buy the 08 CCM U+ Pros for $200 or a couple year old Mission skate for $200 (I used Mission inline-skates when I played roller).

I just have a hard time believing I'm going to find a good pair of skates for $200 at a small local skate shop which probably has worse prices than the chains (Dick's, Sport's Authority, etc).

But, since everyone keeps harping on this point I might have to try seeing if I can find anything I like at the local skate shop (if I can ever get there when I'm in town AND it's open - it's only open 3 days a week for very few hours).

Maybe when I go visit my parents who live near DC I'll go to Kettler and try that shop.

Is it realistic to find a half-decent pair of skates for $200 at a pro-shop? Keep in mind that even though I'll be new to ice I used to play travel inline and also used to aggressive inline skate so I should be able to utilize the benefits of a better skate quicker than most newbies.
Nothing wrong with chains IMO, as long as they carry a wide variety of skates and have helpful employees. Everyone always tells you to shop with the little guy, but I've had plenty of experiences with douchey, unhelpful employees at small shops, and knowledgeable, super nice/helpful employees at big chains. The main things is to go to a place that has a wide variety of skates and a knowledgeable employee who will spend the time finding the right skate for you. No matter what the shop is, if you're getting bad service from an impatient employee, leave and go elsewhere. Finding the right skate takes time.

As for the price, if it's a good skate it probably won't be THAT much cheaper online, especially when you take into account that you'll have to pay a shop to bake it, sharpen it and if necessary punch it out, whereas that's generally all free if you buy at a shop. The skates on crazy discounts online (like those 08 CCM U+s) normally have serious problems with them, thats why they're so heavily on sale. Who cares if those skates originally retailed for $600 and are now $200, with those CCMs for example the outers bubble up, delaminate and fall apart quickly, it's a skate that should not be sold to anyone anyways. Most skates are only about $50 cheaper online than in a shop, and that's about what you'll pay for baking/sharpening/punching anyways. For other gear though, sticks especially, nothing wrong with ordering online.

And yeah, there are plenty of decent skates in the $200-300 range, just make sure it fits well. Honestly, a $250 skate that fits you well will be much, much better than a $600 skate that fits poorly! More expensive skates will be lighter, stiffer (not a good thing for new skaters actually), more protective (in terms of blocking shots), and generally will have nicer liners, but honestly there is nothing wrong at all with $200-300 skates for the vast majority of skaters.

Edit: I just checked the Dick's Sporting Goods website, most of their skates are the same price as online or within about $30, they have a decent selection online at least, seems like a fine option and worth checking out.

Last edited by ponder: 11-10-2010 at 11:32 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote