View Single Post
Old
11-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I like Briere and all, but he is a long term contract at 33 with a HUGE cap hit.

It might be the number cruncher in me, but I'd ABSOLUTELY trade Briere tomorrow if I got even a decent offer (2nd round pick) and he was willing to go.

Granted the above statement might get a lot of hate, Briere is locked into a NMC with a $6.5 mill cap hit until 2015. 2015!!!!

He is going to be worth that cap hit for how much longer? The rest of this season? Part of next season? Less if he gets hurt? I like Briere and we are on a ROLL right now, but I absolutely dump that contract if possible. Simply for the longterm viability of the club. (I absolutely can not justify going for it all this year at the cost of the next 5. Timonen and Pronger are both signed longterm also, and they are 35. We absolutely NEED to shed one of these 3 contracts and FAST).

And you might want to look at Gagne now, Cartsiephan, his career might be over sooner then later.
Absolutely, if you're concerned about what is best for the team in a longer window... Briere is the choice to make as far as a deal, no matter how good he's played over the last 30 games.