View Single Post
Old
11-11-2010, 10:04 AM
IrishSniper87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
So you are willing to weaken other spots on the roster, including the most dominant line on the roster, or ditch the one of the most clutch playoff players in Flyers history just to make sure you sign Carter? You centers according to how Laviolette has put the lines on the ice are: Richards, Briere, Giroux, Betts. This is also the centers who got this team to game 6 of the SCF's.

The problem is if you sign Carter to a long term big deal(assume $6.5) you are putting $44.391mill into just 9 players on your roster(Richards, Carter, Briere, Giroux, Pronger, Timonen, Meszaros, Coburn, and Carle). Not only that but outside of Carle and Coburn whose contracts expire in 2013 and Timonen in 2014 the rest of the contracts all expire in 2015 or later. I understand that the idea is depth at center down the middle, but the focus this season has been build from the defense out, which means tough choices need to be made at center possibly.

And here is the RFA compensation for an offer sheet:

FREE AGENT CLASSIFICATIONS

GROUP 2 - SUBJECT TO COMPENSATION AND RIGHT TO MATCH

These players have been tendered a qualifying offer by their respective Clubs and are subject to draft-choice compensation and right to match. The draft choice compensation scale is based on compensation offered by the new Club:

OFFER
COMPENSATION
$994,433 or below None
Over $994,433 to $1,506,716
Third-round choice
Over $1,506,716 to $3,013,434 Second-round choice
Over $3,013,434 to $4,520,150 First-round and third-round choice
Over $4,520,150 to $6,026,867 First-round, second-round and third-round choice
Over $6,026,867 to $7,533,584 Two first-round choices, one second- and one third-round choice
Over $7,533,584 Four first-round choices
Yeah, let's trade our 25 year old goal scoring center so we can keep our way more expensive, way older and way smaller 33 year old who has maybe 1 good season or so left in him. Real solid move there, champ.

For me, I value keeping good young players around and building around them. Carter is one of those guys, Briere is not. I appreciate what Briere has done for us in the playoffs, I really do, but these longterm deals are about what you WILL get, not what you have RIGHT NOW. Carter will most likely be PPG the next 3 seasons (or close to it, either way, he will score plenty) where as Briere's numbers will inevitably as his age catches up to him.

I agree you can't trade Briere right now (even though I would). Howeve, this offseason when Briere is approaching 34, I ABSOLUTELY let him go for next to nothing.

Just because the HBL line is good now, doesnt mean **** when talking about a year from now, or 3 years from now. Finding cheap wingers to play with Carter in 3 years is hella easy compared to finding somebody to play with a 35 or 36 year old Briere who has seen his offense fall off and who already has zero defensive skill.