View Single Post
Old
11-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Yeah, let's trade our 25 year old goal scoring center so we can keep our way more expensive, way older and way smaller 33 year old who has maybe 1 good season or so left in him. Real solid move there, champ.

For me, I value keeping good young players around and building around them. Carter is one of those guys, Briere is not. I appreciate what Briere has done for us in the playoffs, I really do, but these longterm deals are about what you WILL get, not what you have RIGHT NOW. Carter will most likely be PPG the next 3 seasons (or close to it, either way, he will score plenty) where as Briere's numbers will inevitably as his age catches up to him.

I agree you can't trade Briere right now (even though I would). Howeve, this offseason when Briere is approaching 34, I ABSOLUTELY let him go for next to nothing.

Just because the HBL line is good now, doesnt mean **** when talking about a year from now, or 3 years from now. Finding cheap wingers to play with Carter in 3 years is hella easy compared to finding somebody to play with a 35 or 36 year old Briere who has seen his offense fall off and who already has zero defensive skill.
We just have different expectations of where Carters numbers are going to be, I think he is more likely going to be the 60-65pts than the 80-85. Different views on our expectations of what the team should look like and which of the moves would be a smarter business/team move for the organzition, which is fine. No one is right here, it is going to be up to Homer and management to see where/whether the numbers match.