Thread: Player Discussion: O'Byrne/Bournival trade revisited
View Single Post
Old
11-11-2010, 11:58 AM
shutehinside

vCash: 500
I'm not going to bash this move because I know nothing of the player we're getting back.

What I do know is that OB seemed to me to be a solid prospect type player. Given his age he's not really a prospect anymore and he's had chances year after year to grab the bull by the horns and just hasn't done it. Instead, he's made bone head play after bone head play. For this reason, I'm a little torn over the ability he seems to have and the actualy product we've seen on the ice and it shows why he's been benched and lost his job. I really hope he deos well in Colorado, but I'm inclined to think he'll play the same there as he did over here and won't be much of a factor as his upside isn't that significant imo. Add the fact we have Weber and Carle in the wings and Yemelin who's KHL contract is up next year who'll only come over if he plays with the Habs. If we can get him over, I'd rather pay him then OB to be up here.

More so, I hope this actual prospect can perform to his potential and shore up our centre position further. For the longest time we havne't had any depth in that position and all of a sudden we havea back log which I'm happy to see. Add to that the close to $1M we're saving in cap, plus the $600k for Boyd and $400 we had, that's $2M we'll have. I'm happy they're cutting the fat so to speak on 2 players who would not be playing otheriwse. That way we can spring for a high priced UFA at the deadline to get us over the hump if need be for a long(er) play off run.

Active management is not a bad thing.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote