View Single Post
Old
11-11-2010, 05:07 PM
CanadianFlyersFan18

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hof2120 View Post
Of course I feel bad for his friends and family, and I feel bad for him that a single mistake led to his death, and yielded no option for redemption. But the thing that gets to me is, Flyers fans, like you say, mourn the loss of "what could have been". This to me seems they are more mourning the chances that the Flyers would have had with him alive rather than just mourning that he died. It makes me wonder if it was some 4th liner if anybody would care all that much. I know for a fact they wouldn't receive the kind of mourning that Lindbergh received. I understand Lindbergh had incredible potential but his skills should not cause anybody to mourn him more.

Regardless, RIP Pelle
When celebrities, famous athletes and generally famous people die, people mourn them more, its just the way it is. Our society as a whole practically worships these people when they pass before their time and after. Pelle was a very popular player in Philadelphia and he showed that love through his fantastic love for the game and the city of Philadelphia. I can't blame people for mourning the loss of "what could have been" because Pelle was arguably the best goalie in the NHL at the time, along with the Flyers being the best team in the NHL.His out going, very approachable personality is also another reason why he was popular among the city of Philadelphia and the Flyers locker room. I think people mourn both Pelle as a fantastic human being and mourn the fact the Flyers just weren't the same after Pelle's accident. Furthermore I am in no way saying what Pelle did that night was acceptable, but lets face it, that was the hockey culture back then and 999,999 times out of 1,000,000 Pelle wouldn't of even had a drink, let alone drink and drive.. it wasn't in him and he tended to have fun without booze. One mistake ended it all and its truly unfortunate.

RIP Pelle #31

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote