Old
11-11-2010, 05:30 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by hof2120 View Post
It makes me wonder if it was some 4th liner if anybody would care all that much. I know for a fact they wouldn't receive the kind of mourning that Lindbergh received. I understand Lindbergh had incredible potential but his skills should not cause anybody to mourn him more.

Regardless, RIP Pelle
The fourth liner as described is a hypothetical compared to the actuality that was Lindbergh. But take the case of Dmitri Tertyshny who died in a totally different and tragic manner. A young man. A relatively unknown commodity as a player. I remember watching one of the national news shows -- news, not sports -- when I saw the scroll at the bottom of the screen which listed his death and initial details of the boating accident. It was chilling to say the least but the coverage wasn't the same mostly due to the name recognition and likely the cause was a contributing factor (there were plenty of photos of a smashed Porsche compared to the eyewitness accounts of a boating accident).

At the same time, of course this is a less dramatic scene since it involves injury and not death, but I watched Bernie Parent's final game and still remember the shock of when he skated to the bench hand covering his eye. Now, to use the hypothetical of an AHL callup, would the gut-wrenching feeling be the same? Most likely, no, but that is borne out of name-recognition yetn there would still be concern about the AHL player as a person.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-11-2010 at 05:38 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote