View Single Post
Old
10-06-2003, 11:10 AM
Marchy79

vCash: 500
Frankly I agree with the guy.

Markov is almost at the elite NHL defenceman level. He was drafted in '98 in the later rounds as a centreman, and even won some sort of player of the year accolades in Russia. When moving him up to the elite level in his homw country, they decided that his skating was way too slow to be an effective Top gear forward, so they changed him to a rear guard, where he responded favourably.

He struggled with English his first few years after crossing the pond, and was almost on the verge of heading back to play in Russia (out of frustration of not making the team), when he went on an unbelieveable roll in then Quebec (12 GP, 10 Pts, +12, 4G)
We called him up and he proved he was there to stay (Michel Therrien always limited his time to play udder crap like Traverse, and others).

Last year he came in to the training camp, as the top offensive Defence man. and the habs faith in him paid off as he had a great season last year. Here we are now with a guy who fights positionally to maintain advantages in footraces (and wins almost every time). His shot from the point is great. and his creative eye (passing) is to put it simply the best on the point (rivals Koivu I would say).

Yes, Markov is definately on the way to stardom in the NHL, I expect that he could very well be top 5 Defensive scoring by as early as THIS year.