View Single Post
Old
05-23-2005, 08:33 PM
Brodeur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakazoid
I never said try to win the cup with free agent signings, but some teams are missing a big time player to take it to the next level. Boston comes to mind. Give them a RW and watch them take over the east. Atlanta could use a #1 center. Florida could use a Dman. and so fourth. With the number of players available, I can't see why a team can't dish out 5-6M and plug that big hole.
I think you and I were arguing different things. I was thinking you meant a team like Nashville swooping in and signing Anson Carter, Jeff Friesen, Glen Murray, and Alexei Zhitnik.

Atlanta will be hard pressed to find a true #1 center in the free agent market. Sergei Zubov may find his way onto the open market, and he'd be a great fit for Atlanta.

The big time players available will probably be the guys still remaining from last summer: Kariya, Kovalev, Palffy, Demitra, Murray. Naslund is theoretically UFA after July 1st, as is Modano, Zubov, Leetch, Niedermayer. I don't know how willing some of those guys would be to signing onto a team with "potential" but no history of success.

If I have 20 mil in cap space, I'd probably spend about 10 mil......and if the team really looked like it was a player or two away from being a legit contender, I'd still have cap space to make a mid-season trade.