View Single Post
Old
11-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
The track record speaks for itself: for whatever reasons (and I'm sure there are many, countless even) Ottawa is just not good at getting FA to sign here.

Gonchar is the biggest one yet and I'd say it's not that big of a deal: he's great and all but just like Kovalev the only reason Murray landed him was because he was willing to give the extra year. Sounds like a bit of desperation to me (but I'm not knocking Murray for that) but on the plus side he got things done by taking a gamble.
Sens have never really had cap space, and when we have we generally "address a need" i.e Gerber, Kovalev, Gonchar... Sure, not all of them have panned out and Kovalev definitely was a desperation move but he had to be. The Heatley situation made it difficult to commit salary early in the off-season. The Sens have made a splash in the FA market every time they have cap space, we just had a general core locked up to a lot of money for a long time. This is our first offseason where we really have the money and the cap space to compete for players.