View Single Post
Old
11-15-2010, 03:52 AM
no name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
I think L.A needs to live more in the moment. D.L has to lock up Doughty, JJ, and Simmer and that should be our priority.

We are set for years in Goal.
We have an offensive two way star center.
We have a Norris caliber dman
We have a stocked cupboard.

We need a true offgensive LW and Vanek oe Semin definatly fit the bill. Buffalo is struggling and need a change. I say we go after Vanek, he is the perfect fit for Kopitar and Vanek could excel in our system with Kopitar setting him up.

Pros: Vanek is 6'2 205 and only 26 years old, which fits our core now and in the future. He is a guy that drives into traffic and has scored on average 37 goals a year over the last 4 while missing 10 games a year the last couple. He would have the best shot on our team and would be key on the PP. It allows us to keep Brown on the top line or let a more defensively aware guy like Simmonds hop up on regular shifts. It does not mess with our lethal second line or our dominantly defensive 3rd line.

Cons: Cap hit of $7,142,857 over this year and 3 more. Huge hit but locked up through his prime when he will dominate. Actual salary Kings take on is $6,400,000 which is around the Kovalchuk money being offered, but on a friendlier shorter deal.
-defence is not a priority with Vanek but TM will get him on board and we dont need him on the PK. Not a huge physical factor but we have Brown or Simmer to do the dishing.

Losses: would be substantial such as starting around a Forbert or Schenn. This is where it hurts. If D.L could make a trade and not loose Schenn or Bernier I would be willing to sacrifice any of our others as we have an established core that most our prospects wont supplant. I offer Fobort or Hickey, Loktionov or Moller, Parse or Lewis and a 1st and hope they are in a rebuild mindset.
I don't think Simmonds is a make or break guy. If we can't sign him then there are countless other third liners that we can replace him with. Drew and Jack are actual cogs that need to be locked up no questions asked.