View Single Post
Old
11-15-2010, 01:04 PM
infidelappel*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Never said it can't be.

It's still a short enough sample size to not base everything off of. The standings will be completely different at the end of the year, Patrick Sharp is currently at PPG and on pace for over 40 goals, Tim Thomas and Mathieu Garon lead three of the four goalie stats, etc.

Literally five of his nine goals are on lone breakaways. That's fact. I'm not just spouting off "he only gets goals on breakaways" as some idiot hater. It's literally a fact that more then half of his goals are on lone breakaways.

I'm not willing to say that he's improved until later in the season. That's all. I never said he won't improve either.

It is. To act as if it's a sure-fire thing is ridiculous, to call him a star already is kind of ridiculous, and to not see all the things that have been going right for him since the start of the season (meaning, things that likely won't continue for the rest of the season) is short-sighted.
You're right. Tim Thomas is a hack who's never demonstrated top-end ability in this league nor won any individual awards for his play. All stats at this point of the season are meaningless.

This whole debate is just stupid. On one hand, it's foolish to expect his numbers to continue trending perfectly. On the other hand, it's stupid to discount his success so far as 'things just going well for him.' The kid is incredibly talented, reads plays well, and makes opportunities for himself. It's not like he's just getting lucky and the puck is bouncing to him...he puts himself in great position and a lot of times simply imposes his will on other players. He's a great playmaker with sick talent; it's not unreasonable to think that this is simply a matter of him gaining enough confidence and playing time to make the best of it.

Trying to put some ceiling on things close to last year's numbers and be a downer about it because of what he did last year is just dumb, though.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote