View Single Post
Old
11-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieBisco View Post
Give me the reason why Staal has never hit 50 points even though he has 3rd line matchups?Is your excuse going to be Sid and Malkin generate all the offense?Because I have personally seen 3rd line centers around Staal's age blow his production out of the water.

Age 23-75 GP-63 P-18:28 TOI (3rd line center who was in his 2nd full season in the NHL)

Last 2 seasons Staal has averaged over 19 mins a game (Closer to 20 yet still is >50 P every season)

Staal's a good 2nd/3rd line center but I'm sick of him being talked as he is a Stamkos/Backstrom/Toews type talent.
Wow. A little dramatic? Who ever said he was a Stamkos/Backstrom/Toews type talent? Staal is more like Joe Niewendyk. A guy you want on your team to win championships that is solid all around.

Actually, the real reason why Staal hasn't hit 50+ points yet is because he doesn't get any PP time with the first unit. Because Malkin and Crosby play usually 1:50 of the PP, Staal comes on the last ten seconds of the PP so that Bylsma has his third line playing as the next line since obviously neither Crosby or Malkin's line wouldn't be completely able to go.

Also, take a look at Staal's even strength points. Because he doesn't play the PP, it was even to my surprise that his ES points are right up there with the likes of Toews/Backstrom, etc (not that I'm comparing him to them) just noting his ES production is right there below or exceeds those guys.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote