View Single Post
Old
10-06-2003, 02:11 PM
paul99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacks
I think it was JCD who posted that Gretzky's numbers were not the result of playing during that time. I wish I had saved the post, it was a good one. Hosted the goals/game average before, during, and after Gretzky's career. He said that the GPG now is very similar to the numbers before Gretzky. There was a lot more to it and I'm probably not doing it any justice. I think he concluded saying that the high scoring era of the 80s and early 90s was because of Gretzky, not the other way around.

Also with medicine and regimes, he'd (everyone really) have that to take advantage of. I think Gretzky would do just as well, and maybe even produce at a high clip for a longer amount of time.
high scoring era of the 80s and early 90s was because of Gretzky, not the other way around. Very good observation Tacks.

When Gretzky left NHL only 5 years ago, he was still amooung the best scorers in his late years and he was far far far away from his prime time. He would easily be the best scorer now in his prime time... along Lemieux. This latter was a challenger for the scoring title last year. He is not 50% from 10, 15 years ago and he still mange to be amoung the leaders, with a poor team and playing just 67 games!!! That says all.