Thread: Rumor: Miro Satan?
View Single Post
Old
11-15-2010, 06:42 PM
MtlPenFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictionzero View Post
The problem with guys we are utilizing in the top 6 like Kunitz and Dupuis. Is they are both 3rd wheels. When they are used correctly they are most effective. And that is when they are not on the same line.

Now... Take it that Kunitz is a legit 3rd wheel in the top 6, and Dupuis is a fringe 2nd liner ideal 3rd liner, but this description still holds water with him when you take that into account when both describe Kunitz and Dupuis together.

Assume we had both Kunitz and Dupuis being their ideal role, that of the "3rd wheel", and we had people filling the role of goal scorer on their opposite wing. This would be a very dangerous top 6.

Kunitz - Crosby - Scorer
Scorer - Malkin - Dupuis

I know Dupuis and Malkin never seem to play well together, I am just using that roster placement as a rudimentary example. Even though I cringe at the thought of TK in the top 6, he could probably be counted into this "3rd wheel" mold if there was someone complimenting him on the opposite side.

Basically my point is I would be extremely happy this coming off season if we could grab up at least one 30+ goal scorer that does is CONSISTENTLY, not a reclamation project, or aging cup chaser. Get a guy for a few years that can and has put up that bench mark consistently. Because then with one of these 3rd wheel types I just described, regardless of what line (L1 or L2) that player was put on it would push everyone on the line into their ideal roles.
It was the same thing with Guerin in a way. You can have a Kunitz on a first line as long as Guerin isn't on the other side - and vice-versa. Same thing with Kunitz and Dupuis - two perfect third wheels on a first or second line as long as you have a legit scorer on the wing.

But this is what we have. This is all we have, but people keep blasting the coach as if we have a ton of options to throw out there in their place, which is also why I love when I hear we should "stop playing a grinding style!!!".

??????

Yup, let's have these knuckleheads trying 3 passes through the neutral zone and see how many go back the other way

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote