Thread: Rumor: Miro Satan?
View Single Post
Old
11-15-2010, 05:46 PM
JTG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Dupuis is the perfect example of what's wrong with the supposed "skill" guys we pick up, and why guys like him SHOULD get priority of the Comries and Satans of the world.

Dupuis drives me nuts for the same reasons he drives the others crazy, but I think it gets lost on people how getting into position to take those passes and the opportunities he creates for himself are skills themselves.

He's fast, he's good along the boards, he's first on the puck and he works his ass off on every shift which puts him into favorable spots to score (even though he misses more than he should) Add to that what a pain in the ass he is on the backcheck and how good he is in the d-zone, he's 10 times the player Comrie is.

How are Comrie's opportunities going to come when A) He can't skate B) He can't retrieve C) He can't forecheck? People can't just throw out a vague term like "hands" and think that's the answer. Unless you're a pure SHOOTER like a Semin where you can afford to be a lazy floater and still score 40 goals a year, a Mike Comrie has no value on ANY roster, much less ours.
Yeah, I mean, Dupuis has good hockey sense and he knows where to go. That's fantastic, but you win games on scoring goals, and the guy just doesn't have the natural ability to get it done at the level that you need your top 6'er to perform.

Though I think your assessment of Comrie is extreme, I agree with the feel of it. I have said before when comparing hockey players, I will take the better hockey player over the better scorer any day of the week. Hockey is played in every single zone and you want the guys out there who are most effective in all 3. That being said, I can see why someone would want Comrie over Dupuis in a top 6 role.

Comrie has been pretty useless, but if we were going to have to have either Comrie or Dupuis put into a position to be offensive, I'd pick Comrie every time. He just has something that Dupuis doesn't, and something that is sorely lacking. What we are doing to Dupuis right now is the equivalent of wringing out a wet dish rag. There is absolutely nothing else we can squeeze out of him. 20 goals is without question his max, IMO, where as Comrie has proven he can put up better numbers, albeit, not recently.

I know this post has a real contradictory vibe, but yeah...

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote