CIS Hockey: Official Hollywood Top 34: 2010-11
View Single Post
11-15-2010, 11:05 PM
Join Date: May 2007
To the various comments about the McGilligutties:
1. Last year they played out west during the Christmas break. While they did very well against Alberta, they also lost to UBC. One thing this showed is that all the CW teams are capable of beating a good team and that the gap between first and last is relatively small.
2. At nationals neither McGill nor UQTR could hold leads. I attribute this in large part to point #1. During the season the CW and AUS teams play good teams all the time. So teams from the AUS and CW found a game against McGill or UQTR to be nothing unusual. For the OUA teams, however, the games were a big step up.
3. The Urban Cowboys had a lukewarm pre-season but once the games started to count they have done well.
4. UNB did slam Alberta and Calgary early in the pre-season. But they did likewise to SMU. Yet they lost to SMU last week. I give UNB full credit for the wins. But it also seems clear that they just started stronger then anybody.
5. McGill is somewhat hampered by their woefully weak schedule. Their opponents have been rated #18, #22, #23, #31, #32, and #34. They have yet to play the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place teams (Carleton, Concordia, Ottawa) in their own division!
6. Since the middle (and even slightly higher) of the OUA is on par with the bottom of the AUS and CW, the bottom of the OUA (which is what McGill has predominantly played) are teams below the calibre of anything the AUS and CW will ever see outside an exhibition game.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Hollywood3