View Single Post
Old
11-15-2010, 11:26 PM
canuck44

vCash: 500
I've been on both ends of the benching/sending better players out during my years of rep hockey.

But really I didn't find any coach I played for that bad. The last year I played minor hockey I saw the bench a lot (injuries kept putting me in and out of the line up, never got back to form). First time really that I was on the benching end of the team, and yeah it sucked. I mean nobody wants to be benched, but I just took it as I went. Did it make me unhappy, of course. Do I hate playing hockey now because of it? Absolutely not. Of course I'm sure getting benched as a 13-14 yo compared to 17 is much different, but at the end of the day hockey is just a sport.

And like dump and chase said, if you don't like the system just go play a lower level game. As it gets more competitive, naturally it becomes more about winning.

And how do you win? With a better team system and better conditioned/skilled players. I think kids know, or at least should know what they're signing up for. And it's not like they're being threatened by parents to keep doing what they're doing (yes I realize some kids basically are forced to, I definitely don't agree with that style of parenting).

Now with all that said, I'm thinking about getting into coaching. It's been a while since I've played my share of rep hockey. Granted I never got to taste the AAA system, but I had my chances with Jr teams. I think I'm far too nice of a person right now to start benching kids, but I'm sure if I were to get a coaching position in a rep level organization I'd be considering benching players.

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote