View Single Post
Old
11-16-2010, 12:36 AM
canuck44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
There are plenty of dbag coaches, parents and players at the rep level, but also plenty of great coaches, parents and players. Rep hockey is intense and a massive, MASSIVE commitment, the kid has to be super motivated and really want to do it, forcing your kid into rep is always a bad move from the parent's point of view IMO. But plenty of kids love the competition and intensity of the challenge, even if it sometimes does go quite over the top for a bunch of kids playing a game.

One thing I don't like is the violence that is encouraged in a lot of rep hockey - contact sports are great, but there's too much pure malicious/dirty BS in rep hockey. When I was in high school a friend of a friend was part of a huge brawl that got many players kicked out, after the game he was taking a drink from a water fountain and a kid from the other team came up behind him and smashed his face into the spout, knocking out a bunch of teeth. Obviously that type of violence is not encouraged, but tonnes of over the top physical play, fighting, and marginal hits are DEFINITELY encouraged, and a lot of kids just don't know where to draw the line when they're encouraged to go out there and try to hurt kids.

The huge time commitment and the very competitive environment isn't a problem at all if the kid is into it, but the violence is often excessive IMO.
I remember one game one of our guys got into a fight, I think our guy ripped the other kid's cage off and filled him in. Then after they both got tossed the other team player came out of his dressing room with a hockey stick and tried to get into our dressing room (we were all still on the ice watching this happen). Fortunately before he could get in, parents got to the kid first and the refs restrained him.

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote