View Single Post
Old
11-16-2010, 12:44 AM
timekeep

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump and Chase View Post
Rep hockey is a choice. If you choose to play it you buy into the system. If you don't like the system you also have the choice to not play.

I played on nothing but rep teams through the 20ish years I played hockey. Several seasons I led the team I played on in points. I also played on teams where my role was diminished.

No matter how I was asked to contribute on any team I played for I relished my role, accepted it and took pride in it. On the teams where I was a fringe player I took the opportunity to learn from those who were better than me. Some of those years were the best years of hockey for me, where I developed the most, had the most fun and felt the most amount of pride for being a part of something that was much bigger than me.

So you don't like rep. Good for you, you are free to move on.

Personally I don't care for the "dumb it down" mentality you hear from so many these days. Schools, sports and other recreational activities all seem to have an ultra liberal contingent who want to divide every situation down to the lowest common denominator.

My son had a coach in soccer this year who consistently gave him hell for "kicking the ball too hard" (he might hurt someone, you know) and for being too aggressive in his pursuit of the opposing players who had the ball (All within the rules, but give Billy a chance ok).

I kept my mouth shut and didn't say anything to the coach or to my son because I don't feel it is right to undermine the coach to my son. He is only 6 years old so it's not a big deal any way. He still got to have fun but he voiced his concerns to me and to the coach on several occasions.

Life isn't "fair". Whether you like it or not. Training your own kids to be mediocre is your right and privilege as a parent. Personally I think there are far too many kids who are apathetic about all of their endeavors because this type of mentality is drilled into them from an early age.

And before anyone goes stereotyping this response let me qualify. I don't support yelling at kids or pushing them into something they don't want to do.

But if they do want to play with vim and vigor and they want to put their heart into something don't stand in their way of having a competitive arena to play in.

You always have the choice to take your kids and your opinion to the house leagues.
Very well put, unfortunately this is the state of most Canadian amateur sports with trying to make everyone equal. Sorry everyone is not equal some are better than others.

In saying all this, I believe that the AAA level for winter hockey should start at the 13-14 Bantam age group. If there is favoritism it is usually a father coach and his groupies only worried about their kids future.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote