View Single Post
Old
11-16-2010, 10:23 AM
puck passion

vCash: 500
[QUOTE Originally Posted by Squirrel Forever McGill comes down here to play UNB on Dec. 30th. They can prove their ability in that game. A win, or even a close contest would make them a much stronger team in the eyes of many]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarketmob View Post
I am curious as to how McGill does in comparison to the destructions of Alberta and Calgary. Then again Guelph held their own scorewise better than Alberta and Calgary, but UNB fans mentioned they were dominated in terms of territory. Perhaps they could inform us of how McGill looks as well in addition to the score. McGill last year showed they had skill, but maybe lacked conditioning. McGill was up 4-1 against Manitoba at nationals, and gave SMU a way better fight than Manitoba, even up at one point and held their own in the shot count.I am curious as to how McGill does in comparison to the destructions of Alberta and Calgary. Then again Guelph held their own scorewise better than Alberta and Calgary, but UNB fans mentioned they were dominated in terms of territory. Perhaps they could inform us of how McGill looks as well in addition to the score. McGill last year showed they had skill, but maybe lacked conditioning. McGill was up 4-1 against Manitoba at nationals, and gave SMU a way better fight than Manitoba, even up at one point and held their own in the shot count.
In regards to UNB, be careful when comparing pre-season to recent regular season results. Some of you may not be aware of how UNB's lineup has been decimated by injuries, particularly on the blueline. So when McGill does indeed play UNB in exhibition, please pay attention to UNB's lineup and how many regular starters the V-Reds may be playing. That would certainly be relative, I would think. With all of its lineup intact, UNB is the best CIS team, by far, on paper. There is no Ont./Que. team that would come even close in, say, a best-of-three, best-of-five or best-of-seven series. And, yes, most CW teams would have great difficulty pulling off any kind of victory over the Mighty Reds.

One thing I can say is that, over the past decade, other than a blip here and there, Ontario/Quebec teams have been generally weaker at CIS national championships year in and year out. More often than not, when they have won games, goaltending and not strong play, generally speaking has been the difference. A few goalies have stolen games over the years, but that is hard to do for three straight games at the Uni Cup and that's the case even for a team like Manitoba, which relies heavily on its goalie, Steve Christie. (More so than an Alberta, or Saskatchewan or Calgary out West does with respect with their goalies.)

I think Manitoba was somewhat ill-prepared for the CIS University Cup, given its lack of appearances and exposure at the national level. McGill, however, has become a regular fixture. That may explain McGill's strong start against Manitoba. I'm sure that, if the two teams were to meet again at the Uni Cup in 2011, McGill would not enjoy so an early edge, regardless of the final outcome.

puck passion is offline   Reply With Quote