View Single Post
Old
11-16-2010, 02:50 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
I understand your point.

I specified that bieksa was just an example, could have been other players, on other teams... I didn't want to get a debate going on him and what we'd have to trade to get him.

My point is that Obyrne is what he is, a bottom pairing Dman. It might be worth a 3rd rounder... but some teams have little to do with a 3rd rounder and would enjoy adding some depth to their D. The same way a team would rather have the 3rd rounder instead of Obyrne. my point was that upgrading our D was and still is a NEED, and that I would have appreciated trading Obyrne along with picks and prospects to get a better dman, rather than losing depth in the position where you are the most vulnerable.
I agree that we needed help on D, but before Markov went down we wouldn't have even had the cap space to accommodate any significant upgrade. The only help we could have gotten from an O'Byrne trade would have been for the future, much like Bournival.

Unless you're saying you would have preferred keeping O'Byrne to use as trade bait in the case of a significant injury like Markov's, but as I posted before I don't believe that really makes any difference. Only reason I see in keeping him would have been in case another one of our D go down, in which case I think he's a much better alternative than what we have in Hamilton.

On a tangent, if it is a worse case scenario with Markov and he is out until the playoffs or beyond, I'd spend the freed up cap space on a top 6 winger and depth at defense. You could get someone like Jamie Langenbrunner and still have space for a $3M d-man. Now, obviously that wouldn't make up for everything Markov provides and it's a lot easier to say you'd fill that cap space than to actually find willing trade partners, but I hope Gauthier doesn't stand pat. You can really soften the blow with that much room to maneuver.