View Single Post
Old
11-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrsr View Post
Does anyone really like the fact that Luongo has a "new style" ? I'd think he'd be better off just focusing on using what has worked for him his whole career. We got the guy because he was apparently an established superstar in the league ready to do great things on a good team, not as a project.

Seemed to me like most of his issues were just mental; getting rattled, playing nervous and over-committing etc. The fact that he has to change the way he plays kind of worries me.
Until the last two and a half years, what worked was playing fairly deep in his net and challenging shooters. Ian Clark started to make him play more and more out as time went on (beyond simply challenging shooters). If you don't believe me, you can go watch some Florida games from 03-04 and you'll see.

In 06-07 he also played significantly deeper than he did last year. Ian Clark is a coach that has a style that he prefers to go with and sticks with it, Melanson meanwhile is more responsive to each goaltender's unique traits.

Last edited by Tiranis: 11-16-2010 at 08:50 PM.