View Single Post
Old
11-17-2010, 08:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by berzark View Post
I'm 5''11 150lbs, I've been using a senior 77 flex bauer one 95 and NEVER notice it flexing and can barely put weight on it when doing snappers..

Do you guys think I should buy an intermidiate stick 67 flex so I can feel the flex? Try a lower flex or stay with senior sticks?
It's worth a shot. If you literally aren't flexing the stick, going to a lower flex can help develop your shot. Learn to feel the whip of the stick, get your lower body and core into it, etc, and if you get stronger you can go back up to the One95.

Check out this video where he shows the fundamentals of the shot. Notice how he's really pushing/scraping the ice with his bottom hand. That's what you want to do in order to get your weight into it.

I found it helpful to go with a whippier AND a longer stick when learning the motion, then shorten up the stick if you want for better control, and if it's still quite whippy go back up in flex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Barr View Post
At 5'8", 130 lbs, is a senior 75 flex too stiff for me? I'm not in good shape at all either, so it's not like I'm mostly muscle or anything. Like other people have said, I can flex the stick off the ice if I lean on it a little, but I have a hard time on the ice flexing it enough to get any power. I've only been playing for a few months though, so I plan on getting in better shape and getting stronger, and honing my technique eventually to where I'm able to use a 75 flex. Should I just stick with it, or should I find an intermediate to use until I'm "ready" to use the senior stick?

Thanks in advance.
Yeah I think it would be. I'm 5'8 175 and have decent strength and technique but use a 65 flex. A 75 flex is pretty stiff when cut down. It's definitely worth a shot.

I also wouldn't necessarily see the intermediate as "training wheels" or a temporary solution until you get stronger. A misconception is that good players use senior sticks, when in reality shorter players often benefit from whippy sticks. It's physics. Someone who's 6" taller than me will use a 6" taller stick, and that's going to be way whippier at the same flex. So either you're using a stick way too long for you or a stick way too stiff.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote