Thread: Salary Cap: $64.3M Upper Limit for '11-'12
View Single Post
Old
11-17-2010, 10:23 AM
PawelW007

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Yeah, look what's going on... Because that's all a result of the Kovalchuk signing. Give me a break.

The last thing this team needs is another 20 goal scorer.

We've never had big names. Scott Gomez and Chris Drury are not big names. Big names are worthy of lavish contracts. There is nothing wrong with signing great players from the free agent market. The problem is when you overpay players who aren't great.

This team is SORELY in need of a legitimate puck distributing playmaker at the center ice position, and this just happens to be one of the rare instances when one of the best playmakers in the league is in his prime and available as a free agent. This is an opportunity that this team can ill afford to pass them by. Brad Richards gives us a GREAT first line, and gives us one of the better second lines in the league, as well. Brad Richards turns this team into a Stanley Cup contender next season, the season after that, and the season after that. I can't foresee any way the same can be said if we don't make any major additions in the very near future (and there is no one else even close to as good as Richards that will be a free agent in the near future).
First of all no need for the ******* sarcasm, New Jersey is falling apart and dressed literally 3 lines because of their bad contract, correct?

Brad Richards will be 31 when he hits the FA market. We don't need another older player locked into a 5+ year deal. And he is making 7.8 million in Dallas, imagine the asking price! It makes more sense to let Stepan/Dubinsky/Anisomov/ Prospal (if he gets back) to all get there shots with Gaborik. Who says none of those guys can;t step into that role, all are very talented, not Richards but still talented. Don't get me wrong I think Richards 60 plus assist last year is a super impressive feat and I do think he is a great player just not for the type of money or hole that we would place the franchise in!

Also Gomez and Drury were both big names who were expected to be great. They also were payed like big names. Gomez came in as an assist aficionado who was a "shoe in" to be Jagr's go to distributor. Chemistry never developed. Drury was Captain Clutch and although he has contributed to the team on the PK, his statistics continue to decline.

Big contracts for FA are a coin flip and I personally believe that Brad Richards/ or 95% of the league does not deserve that kind of money.

Last edited by PawelW007: 11-17-2010 at 10:31 AM.
PawelW007 is offline   Reply With Quote