View Single Post
Old
11-17-2010, 07:59 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by northvanman View Post
My earlier point was simply that it's tough to see a 17-0 team ranked as a "B" (even if they have been beating punching bags for the most part), especially when they have defeated the team immediately ahead of them in the rankings. I understand how Hollywood's rankings work (in principle) so I'm not debating that - just empathizing with McGill who would probably say "what more can we do?"

You get no disagreement from me about the relative strength of the OUA compared to Canada West and the AUS. There have been a couple of very good points about OUA teams that help to explain the discrepancy:

- The number of teams in close geographic proximity does spread the talent kind of thin (this happens in football too), but I think the exodus of good hockey players out of the province has as much or more of an impact. Many go to the NCAA. I haven't looked in a couple of years, but 3 or 4 years ago I took a look at the AUS rosters and was shocked by the number of players from Ontario on AUS teams - if I recall, Moncton and STU were the exceptions. Not sure if this is still the case

- There is no question in my mind that if you took the top few teams in the OUA and put them in either the AUS of Canada West they would (a) win less often, but (b) become better teams. The lack of strong competition during the regular season is a killer for the good teams and I absolutely agree that contributes to the poor showing at the Nationals year after year.
The AUS teams also scooped a lot of guys from out west this year.

I agree that the leading programs from Ontario would get better with solid competition every week.

As for "what else could McGill do?", it is early. If Calgary had been in Asia on tour and just got back and was 2-0 against Regina, I would not have them ranked as an A level team, either.

Hollywood3 is online now   Reply With Quote