View Single Post
Old
11-17-2010, 09:04 PM
Kyle McMahon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
I'd have a hard time looking at the greatest (or second greatest after Taylor) offensive player of a generation and comparing him to Brett Hull though. How could someone dominate like Malone did without being a centrepiece guy?
Well, I do rank Malone comfortably ahead of Hull, but both seem to fit the description of guys who were all-time greats at one aspect of the game, but weren't seen as anything special in any other areas. Most old descriptions of Malone mention his superb knack for scoring goals, but pretty much stop there. Whereas Lalonde could be the driving force in game where he may have only scored one goal or none at all.

Quote:
He led the NHA/NHL in scoring most times he played a full season. He holds the NHL records for goals in a game, goals-per-game over a season, most 5-goal games in a season, etc. His goal mark of 44 stood for 27 years until Richard broke it. His points mark stood for a decade until Morenz broke it. He was a dominant force captaining Quebec to back-to-back Stanley Cup championships early in his career. Obviously some of these things aren't realistic in the modern era, but it goes to show how dominant he was in his own time.

I suspect playing most of his career out of the spotlight on middling (and long-defunct) teams may have a lot to do with his historical standing. I think it's definitely some food for thought.
I'll counter the point you make in your last paragraph with the bolded. For the fact that Malone is, and could very well remain in perpetuity, the only man to score 7 goals in an NHL game, I suspect he is a more well-recognized figure than Lalonde in general.

Unless you're suggesting that even in his own time, playing on the oft-moribund Bulldogs led to him being undersold in comparison to Lalonde, which is indeed a possibility.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote