View Single Post
Old
05-27-2005, 03:16 PM
Ogopogo*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
As an Oiler fan, I always have to defend my position on Grant Fuhr. He wasn't that great a goalie in my mind. The offense on the team could come back from any number of bad goals that Fuhr could give up.

The best thing that Fuhr could do is give you a big save at a great time, but he would give up two bad goals and the make a huge save when it was 4-4.

To me, he wasn't even the best goalie in his draft year. If Vernon or Vanbiesbrouck were drafted by the Oilers they would have better numbers and the same amount of cups.
You kidding me?

Fuhr won a Vezina and was a Vezina runner up. The GMs recognized his greatness but, many people just look at stats and think that tells the story. Goaltending stats are nearly worthless to judge how good a goaltender is.

Fuhr faced breakaways, two on ones, three on ones, point blank shots and he played brilliantly. No other goalie faced the kind of shots Fuhr faced - well, except for the Nordiques, Devils and Penguins goalies of the 80s. Fuhr was fantastic. Put him on Montreal and Patrick Roy would never have gotten the starting job.