View Single Post
11-18-2010, 03:26 AM
vCash: 500
You don't need to be a fantastic skater to play wing, since you play a lot of North/South hockey, and do a lot of work along the boards or near the opponent's net. Defensively you just have to cover the points, and get open on the breakout (either anchoring yourself on the boards or skating up the ice to receive the stretch pass).

A centre needs to be a strong skater since he has to be working hard on both ends of the puck (defensively in the high slot, offensively around the net) and needs to be able to skate well to use the space in the middle of the ice.

Defensemen need to be smart, mobile, and very good at skating backwards.

If you're just starting out, learn to play the wing. As you get better you may choose to shift to centre or move back on D. It's fun to spend some time on D... it gives you a better view of the ice, and you can learn a lot about how forwards should be playing by observing what your guys are doing and what mistakes/smart plays they're making.

Nowadays when I play league hockey I usually play wing, but when I play pick up I will play any of the three, depending on my mood and the skill level of the guys there.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote