View Single Post
Old
11-18-2010, 03:47 AM
kr580

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckscrazy View Post
How does one chose what position he plays? Is it based on what your good at? your size? what people want you to play?

I'm just curious because I want to start playing hockey and I started to wonder about this.
Pretty much everything you posted are the way people choose. There's no definitive reason people choose certain positions, it's a combination of it all. It's mostly common sense about where you'd work best regarding skill, size, speed, your strengths (skating, passing, shooting, etc.)

As mentioned above winger is easiest to hop in and play for beginners. At the beginner level there's not a whole lot of responsibility for winger so if you're not as skilled as the rest of the people on the ice it won't be a big deal.

I've played defense mostly so far since nobody ever wants to play D and I don't mind playing back. Plus I somewhat 'get' how you're supposed to play defense, where most guys starting out are clueless.

I agree with the recommendation of playing winger to start out. Once your skating is up to par and you start grasping what's needed of Centermen/Defensemen you can always switch to whatever position you prefer.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote