View Single Post
Old
11-18-2010, 05:21 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
There is absolutely no reason to rush negotiations with this contract. We have a while, and it seems to me that both Weber and Poile are busy right now. Something about a season... I don't know. I'm not much of a sports fan.

I really do wish people would stop assuming things. Pundits on Sportsnet are bad enough, but I guarantee there isn't a single person on these forums who has ever negotiated a large contract with an athlete, much less a hockey player. And it's certainly less likely that anyone around here has spoken with Weber, Poile, or Weber's agent about anything other than the weather and how much they love Weber's slapshot. Let's stop pretending we know better than Poile here. He's been doing this for a while now. When June rolls around I think we have more reason to panic, but it isn't even Thanksgiving yet.

To answer your question, no one knows. Five first rounders is sexy, but you don't know what you'll get with them. You can't even be assured that the picks wouldn't all end up 28-30, essentially making them high second rounders. Trading him at the deadline would likely yield a couple of roster players and a few picks at least, but then you have to think about what teams would be in the market to "buy" Weber, and what the contracts of the roster players coming our way would equal. We'd almost certainly have to trade for a single player making $6-$7mil or less assuming that is what we are planning to pay Weber. The rest would have to be prospects and picks. Another crap shoot. Right now it is absolutely the least risky route to try to just extend Weber. Besides, the trade deadline, while getting too close to July for our comfort, is probably still too early to be considering letting Weber go. Even if we're a basement dweller.

edit: I agree with predfan24

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote