View Single Post
Old
11-19-2010, 05:24 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
I'll respond without quoting you, Euca, simply to save room.

First of all, we should have won that game. It was mostly our inability to keep up the pressure. We stopped skating as hard, and as a result took bad penalties in bunches. Some of the calls were phantom, but our PK wasn't up to the job anyway.

Secondly, I don't think many Preds fans are that concerned about Weber leaving. A few think Poile isn't doing enough, and that it will eventually lead to Weber walking. I don't know much about negotiating, but I do know that when one party appears desperate the other party can, and often will, demand the moon. After all, if someone is desperate for your services, you can demand anything.

As far as I'm concerned there is no reason to panic at all. Team President, Cigarran, was quoted in an interview that most of us heard as saying that the team "knows the ball park of what Shea Weber wants, and is prepared to give it to him." NHL contracts can be incredibly complex, and with the Kovie deal any long term deal has to be hammered out carefully. Add to that our internal budget and it becomes more complicated. We also have to make sure we can pay other players like Suter, Hornqvist, Rinne, and now O'Reilly when the time comes, and we can all assume that when Weber is re-signed it will definitely be a contract that lasts well beyond each of those players' current contracts.

Further, I don't think the budget is nearly as strict now as it was just a couple of seasons ago. The team is making significantly more in revenue now than it was just four years ago, and attendance is up early in the year this year. Not just up, but up dramatically. Typically we don't see these attendance numbers until the football seasons (college included) end. This season we've been seeing our typical February-April numbers from the get-go. Added attendance dollars lessens our dependence on full revenue sharing which, in turn, allows us to spend beyond the cap mid-point. Assuming the trend continues we should be fine.

As for your trade proposal, I'm wondering why we take on $6.5mil for Dion Phaneuf when he's been less than impressive for the last couple of seasons. Granted, I haven't seen a lot of him since he shipped over to Toronto, but even if he were comparable to Weber why do we pay him half a million-to-one million less than what we can likely give to Weber? Especially if we're also taking on another $833k. I don't think the value is there, and I don't think the money makes sense. Weber is vastly more important to our club than Phaneuf to yours. No offense, and that isn't to say Weber is vastly more talented, but in terms of value to an individual club it isn't comparable.

Anyway, I have to get ready for work. I hope this answers your questions.

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote