View Single Post
Old
11-19-2010, 08:47 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Wow that is a beautiful rink. Not only does the surface look nice and smooth, but all the circles and lines look freshly painted and the boards look well-maintained.

At the Baldwin rink I mentioned above, the surface is really nice but the last time I was there the boards were all f'd up, had holes in them, the paint was faded, and I don't think you could sit on the wooden benches without getting a splinter in your ass.

The other public rinks I've been to on LI are equally as poorly kept. Oceanside sucks, Deer Park is an abomination, they took down the one in Rockville Centre.

And note I say public because the nicer rinks are the ones that aren't open to public skate. West Hempstead, Valley Stream, and Lynbrook all lock their rinks last time I checked, but all those rinks are pretty well-maintained. Lynbrook is definitely the best I've seen in the way of maintenance.
Yes it's a terrific rink... It's only a year old and an individual who helps run the youth league at this location told me the town spend approx $200K on it's construction.... The surface is fantastic.... Minimal wear on your wheels and blades.... I think I played there at least 10-12x before I needed to rotate my wheels.... Unfortunately they left the basketball nets up when they constructed the rink so the basketball players take over the rink in the summer but we've had some terrific pick-up hockey there during the fall/winter/spring. The rink size is HUGE and good for 5 on 5 play.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote