View Single Post
Old
11-19-2010, 11:38 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Don't forget, the University Cup format is supposed to change after Fredericton hosts. They are going to add an extra day for true semi-finals.

There will still be six teams, divided in two pools of three teams. Each team plays two games. So far, the same as now.

Next, the top team in pool A will play the second team in pool B in one semi-final and the top team in pool B will play the second team in pool A in the other semi-final. That will take up the extra day. The two winners will then meet in the championship game.

They may still need a tie-break formula to sort out team 1 and team 2 in each pool.

If you look back to March, in Pool A Alberta finished first and Lakehead finished second while in Pool B SMU finished first and Mantioba finished second. So Alberta would have met Manitoba in one semi and SMU met Lakehead in the other. All things being equal, Alberta and SMU would probably still have advanced to the final. This scenario is only tidy because UQTR in Pool A and McGill in Pool B lost both their games, making it easy to sort out 1, 2, 3.
This is interesting...the first time I have heard of this actually...I never knew they were changing the format after next year. My only concern is that, if I am reading this correctly, if they add true semi-finals but only one extra day you could have a situation where one team would have to play 4 days in a row. Say the tourney runs Wed (a day earlier than now) - Sun...obviously one team from each pool will sit out Wednesday while the other two teams in their respective pools play. Then the teams that have Wednesday off will have to play their round robin games Thursday and Friday, play a potential semi final Saturday, and a potential final Sunday. That seems like a bit much to me.

I guess you can try to avoid this as often as possible by having the weakest teams from each pool start on Thursday figuring they will most likely lose both of their round robin games and eliminating them from the 'playoff' portion of the tourney.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote