View Single Post
Old
10-06-2003, 05:12 PM
dawgbone

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest
As a preface to the comments I am about to make, let me state for the record that I am a Kevin Lowe fan.

However....

I don't think Button's mistakes in the acquisition of McAmmond comes anywhere close to Lowe and Co. in their dealings with Marchant last year. I don't know how many times I heard someone from the organization suggest that they would get compensation for Marchant if they lost him as a UFA. This was clearly a serious misreading of the CBA that the team not only appeared not to have checked before they made their 2002-2003 contract offer to the Marchant, but they appeared to continue to believe for several months after the fact. It seems to me that the Edmonton press never really called Lowe out for this mistake to the point where by this past spring when it was clear that Marchant wouldn't be back, no-one even seemed to acknowledge that the Team had ever suggested that there would be compensation.

By contrast, even if McCammond could not play last spring (at a point in time when the Flames were already eliminated), Button at least obtained a player that would be a known commodity for his top line in 2003-2004.
I don't remember anyone in the Oilers organization expecting compensation for Marchant. I do remember discussing it on here in November and it was pointed out that they wouldn't...

I don't see how we would figure it out on here before the Edmonton media and the Oilers organization figured it out, especially seeing as Darius Kasperitis became a UFA the exact same way last summer.

Also, it's not like the Oilers were expecting more than a 4th or 5th round pick for Marchant if it was the case that they thought they were going to receive compensation for him.