View Single Post
Old
11-20-2010, 06:44 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
I'd rather see if we could get Gilbert out of Edmonton (as JPavs suggested in the trade board). His contract would be slightly harder to fit at $4 mil instead of Beauch's $3.8. But he's also a bit younger, can be more physical than Beauch, and signed longer-term. From the games I've seen him playing against the Sharks over the last couple of years I don't think he's as bad as he's playing right now. I like that he's got decent size and is a RH shot as well. He's not as good defensively as Beauchamin right now, but I think he brings more offensive upside.

What do SJEasy, Max, or any of the others who watch more Edmonton games than me think of him. Would he be a decent option?
My issue with Tom Gilbert is that he has no physical presence on the ice. You mentioned his size as a plus, and I would agree if he ever actually used it. Gilbert is an outstanding shot blocker and is not afraid of giving up his body in that regard, but he completely lacks a physical game. He is definitely better than the way he's playing, though, and maybe a change of scenery could help him regain the form he had in 2007-08 and 2008-09. Gilbert needs a veteran defense partner that can take the pressure off him. He was at his best in Edmonton when he played with Steve Staios, who took care of the physical stuff.

Doug Wilson wouldn't even consider considering dealing Setoguchi for Beauchemin. Yeah, you read that right. That rumor is just a bunch of BS that came around because two teams that are in dire need of something the other has. The only way Setoguchi is dealt is if an equally-regarded young defenseman comes back in return.

Last edited by Blades of Glory: 11-20-2010 at 06:53 AM.
Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote