Old
11-20-2010, 08:05 AM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Roy should have been pulled, but his reaction was insanely childish and selfish and caused termoil to our team for years and years to come. Montreal was a great team before that incident and his trade set us back into the darkest period of Habs history. Patrick Roy was one of my favorite players growing up, and now I can't stand to even hear his name. Toppled with his post-NHL carear exploits as well as those of his offspring.... yeah, to hell with #33.
I wouldn't say they were a great team, they missed the playoffs the year before and started very slowly in 95-96, actually the trade at the time seemed to be a bit of a spark, as funny as it sounds, Thibault out produced Roy, Rucinsky was over a PPG and Kovalenko scored 20. Obviously in hindsight it was a huge loss but Roy was starting to struggle a bit in Montreal, something like 3 of his last 4 regular seasons were sub par and around when he was to be inducted to the HOF he said it was because Montreal was starting to him down. I think long term getting out was the best thing for him, the problem is A. the circumstances around him leaving pissed fans off and B. despite a promising start the trade really, really didn't work out. If Thibault had developed as projected and/or Rucinsky kept scoring at that rate people may have been reasonably comfortable with it.

It's an emotional subject for many fans so you're not going to get much perspective on the issue.

dynastyREredux is offline   Reply With Quote