View Single Post
Old
11-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
My issue with Tom Gilbert is that he has no physical presence on the ice. You mentioned his size as a plus, and I would agree if he ever actually used it. Gilbert is an outstanding shot blocker and is not afraid of giving up his body in that regard, but he completely lacks a physical game. He is definitely better than the way he's playing, though, and maybe a change of scenery could help him regain the form he had in 2007-08 and 2008-09. Gilbert needs a veteran defense partner that can take the pressure off him. He was at his best in Edmonton when he played with Steve Staios, who took care of the physical stuff.
From the limited games I've seen, Gilbert reminded me of Rathje the way he used his size (just not as good). He doesn't hit much or play an edgier physical game (although I seem to remember him getting "chippy" a few times), but he does use his size to block out the opposition. As long as he's not going to get manhandled like Vlasic sometimes is by larger forwards, I'm fine with having a guy who is not that physical. We have Murray, Moore, Joslin, Petrecki, and at least a few more guys on the team or in the dev group who will play a physical game when necessary. We need a guy with decent mobility, who can handle the puck, who can pass, who can shoot, and who can maybe run the 2nd PP unit without being too much of a defensive liability. Those are things Gilbert can do.

Again, he's not the best option I would want, but he may be more available than some of the other options.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote