View Single Post
Old
11-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
But the whole point is that pieces like Richards don't become available very often. You keep talking as if signing Richards is akin to any other free agent signing this team has made. It's not. Not even close. It's apples and oranges. There is no lesson to learn because the free agent mishaps of the past were players that were obviously not worth the money. Why not look at Gaborik? He was a free agent signing. Was that a mistake?

Also, I don't buy the market thing for a second. No one cares about hockey here, but even if there was a lot of pressure...why worry? The key is that unlike Gomez and Drury and Redden, Richards is worth the money, because he is that good. They never were, which is why they should never have been signed in the first place.

No one here is pushing for Richards more than me, but you're responding as if this is what I do every year. I've never supported them signing any big name free agent except for Kovalchuk in the past. The only free agents that you should shell out cash to are the ones that are worth the money, and Richards certainly will be. A combination of Richards and Gaborik would give us one of the top 3-4 first lines in the league. This team's style fits his game perfectly, and he fills the team's biggest need. The Johnny Cakes connection is there, too. It would be a perfect fit.

And again, the question must be asked, who else in the league is going to be able to offer Richards such an enormous contract. He'll definitely get nice money, but it's not going to be as huge a contract as you're afraid of.
It really all depends on what kind of money he is looking for and how much cap space we will have. Even if he goes for something like 6.5 x 4, do we have the cap space with so many raises due (Dubi, AA, Cally, Boyle, Sauer)?

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote