View Single Post
Old
11-21-2010, 01:36 PM
TheDevilMadeMe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
I agree also. IMO, they also won in 2002 despite their goaltending.We never saw Joseph after the first game and In the Canada/USA gold medal game, I only remember one big save by Brodeur.
You aren't necessarily wrong, but I think you are probably in the minority about that. The 2002 Olympics seemed to transform Brodeur into a Canadian hero, like the 2010 Olympics did to Crosby. He seemed to overnight go from being severely underrated (product of the system my ass) to probably being slightly overrated.

In my personal opinion, I thought Brodeur's calm play was really a steadying influence on Canada in 2002. In 2010, Luongo seemed to really feel the pressure and start fighting the puck as soon as he let in the first goal. Lots of really bad rebounds. The NBC announcers actually said that Luongo looked really shaky and if they were Slovakia, they'd just keep putting shots on net because something good was bound to happen.

And as far as early failures go, I think 2010 Brodeur was worse than 2002 Cujo. He was slumping going into the Olympics, and I think he bought into the hype too much about how unstoppable he'd be without the trapezoid and went around trying to do too much.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote